Shuffle Friday

Hello friends,

Happy Friday. I threw the content-o-matic on shuffle to get something short and sweet for you. Blink off the stress with me!

Fave Short of the Year (so far)

Dan Sully's "The Ellington Kid" has been making the rounds around the net for a few weeks now, and my twisted self has enjoyed watching it more than once. Perhaps it's the city kid in me that loves a good urban legend brought to Guy Ritchie-like life (or loif), perhaps it's the human in me that loves a good prank, perhaps both. Laugh, cringe, put your burger down and wonder with me again with "The Ellington Kid":



News(ish) from the Net 

Tribeca Film Festival launches a competition for six second films. Yes, really. That could be a lot of fun, actually...

Remember when I said J.J. Abrams is on a World Domination Tour? Now he's doing his own version of Superman. As a Nolan lady, I do not approve.

Did you miss SXSW? Check out this film wrap-up from ComingSoon.

Joshua Oppenheimer's "The Act of Killing" wins Best Film the International Human Rights Documentary Film Festival. No surprise. Check out the trailer and see for yourself.

Nikolaj Arcel is up to do a remake of Daphne Du Maurier's "Rebecca". As a Hitchcock megafan I'm excited to see how Arcel will up the ante. 

If you missed it on St. Pat's weekend, learn about Daniel Holme's "The Light of My Eyes", a film about the little-discussed topic of synesthesia.

Visual Experiments

Speaking of seeing things, this may be something fun to try the next time you have some time to kill at home. Over the last few weeks, I have been on this kick of watching movies on mute while playing various songs over them. Not so much to create a kind of soundtrack, but just to see how the mood changes with sound that may either complement or juxtapose the imagery -- or better yet -- do something strange and in-between.

A nice example is this combination of Brian Eno'/U2's "Your Blue Room" paired with THX1138. It's a beautiful song, which adds a spooky tenderness to an otherwise freezing-cold film.


Some others:

- First 10 minutes of Prometheus with "Lateralus" by Tool.
- The opening sequence/car chase from Drive with "Revelator" by Camille O'Sullivan. (You have to use the album version obviously.)

If you try it let me know what you come up with!

Coming soon - fresh reviews, interviews, and a whole lot of surprises. Don't forget to vote in the poll on the right side of the page and tell me what you want to see more of in this blog.

See you in the dark,
C

No comments:

Post a Comment